1. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism is keen on ensuring that all game wardens who are working in National Parks, Game Reserves, Anti Poaching Units and District Councils are performing their duties according to the code of conducts.
2. Despite the fact that, last week the Ministry suspended 22 game wardens and senior officers who were involved directly or indirectly into corruptions and assisting poaching within and outside protected area. Surprisingly Mr. Benjamin Mkosamali, District Game Officer in Kasulu district council deliberately decided to let three poachers free. These poachers were arrested by Friedkin Conservation Fund rangers during patrolling in their hunting concession. Mr. Benjamin Mkosamali (DGO) was aware that these poachers unlawfully possessing 12 Reedbucks (7 females and 5 males) and 4 Oribi by not being included in their hunting license number B.59921 of 29.11.2014 that was issued by District Game Officer in Kigoma district council. Therefore a total of 16 wild animals were illegally hunted contrary to Wildlife Conservation Act number 5 of 2009.
3. Following unethical and unprofessional decision made by Mr. Benjamin Mkosamali (DGO – Kasulu), a person in-charge of patrolling unit of Friedkin Conservation Fund made an extra effort by informing RPC -Kigoma, ACP Freza Kashai who instructed OC-CID – Kasulu Mr. Athumani Idd Namba in collaboration with an official from Tanzania Intelligence Services (TIS) to arrest these poachers. The team managed to arrest these poachers at Kibagwe village and were send back to Kasulu for prosecution and the case no KSL/IR/3246/13 was filed.
4. Following that, I have directed the relevant authorities to take disciplinary and legal actions against him so that it became a lesson to all those who have similar intension in future.
5. The Ministry has been delighted by strong cooperation demonstrated by RPC Kigoma, OC-CID, and brave rangers who sacrifice everything to ensure our wildlife are protected.
6. Equivalently, the Ministry is taking this opportunity to inform you that, Mr. Lawrence Kileo, Senior Game Officer from Maswa Game Reserve has been suspended for compounding of offences without giving a receipt to the person from whom he receives the amount of money contrary to Wildlife Conservation Act under section 116(2)(c ).
7. Government is therefore insisting to all wildlife officers and wardens to put up with code of conduct. In additional to that, Government will not hesitate to take serious measure to all those who will fail to perform their duties according to laws and regulation that are governing their daily duties
Lazaro S. Nyalandu (MP)